Remember Jason Goldberg’s “It’s a fucking startup. Why are you here?” post? Well, it’s not there anymore. It appears to have been deleted. Writing the post was a bold move. Whether or not it was poor judgment is debatable, but there’s no question that putting it out there then taking it down was a mistake.
One of two things happened:
(1) Either the founder and CEO of Fab released a passionate, possibly over-the-top post that was met with a mix of admiration and disgust, only to later regret the decision and take it down himself;
(2) Or company advisors weren’t happy about the media firestorm it created and demanded that it be taken down.
Either way it’s bad for Fab and bad for Jason Goldberg. In the first case, it shows indecisiveness and a lack of confidence. In the second, a total breakdown in communication and strategy.
If it was the first scenario, that’s on Jason Goldberg. If it was the second, it may be a case of too many cooks in the kitchen.
As Julien Fruchier said: “For someone who recently wrote an impassioned essay making the point that ‘Fab is a fucking startup’, the CEO has quite the bloated executive suite.”
That “bloated executive suite” consists of:
– John Wu, EVP of Operations
– Kiel Mead, SVP of Design
– Fabio Silva, SVP & General Counsel
– Alex Do, SVP of E-Commerce & Marketing
– Eric Price SVP of Product
– Jerry Haggerty, GM of Soft Home/Home Essentials & SVP of Licensing and Wholesale
– Evan Clabots, SVP of Product Design
– Renee Wong, General Manager of Personal Accessories
– Ian Hardman, VP & General Manager of Hard Goods
– Jacob Letendre, Vice President of Global Logistics and Customer Support
– Renee Harper-Lee, VP People and Culture
– Martin Paul, VP of People Operations
– Larry Cohen, Senior Director, Business Intelligence & Analytics
– Pierre Coker, Director of Financial Planning Analysis
According to TechCrunch, many of their positions are now in question as Fab considers its options moving forward.
Once the post was made public, do you think they should have left it up or quietly taken it down?